Monday, October 24, 2011

Gray chapter 4 part 2


But right behind them was the whole army. She immediately picked up the messaging system that Gray had left her and a heavy MG. She sent out her own distress signal and had started to pour laser fire at the front ranks of the writhing horde of Stalkers. That was when we had abruptly changed course and appeared in the bunker moments later. We knew the rest, so she sat back. The room was silent for a minute, the only sound being a faint rumble in the distance.

Gray takes the Cube out of his pack and hands it to me, a twinkle in his eye. “Giovanni, I think that the cube would be safest in your hands.” I shake my head in disbelief. Me? Why me? Why not the president or someone of importance? It's all very confusing, but I take the small cube solemnly. “Well Gray, I really don't know what to say besides thanks.”

He shook his head. “Then don't. The only thing that I would expect you to say at this point is thanks anyway.” He gave a small smile. Lime stood and said, “There is one small problem though. Govahn is going to be looking for the you and the cube. He wants to be the supreme ruler, and you are now the only one who can oppose him.”

I sink farther into the couch as I say, “And you wait until now to tell me this?” Gray chuckled a bit as he said, “Well, might as well save the best for last, right?” I sputter in surprise. “This is the best? What are you talking about?” He points to the cube. “This is why it's the best. You've got the very means to defeat him right in your hands!”

It hits me like a ton of bricks. I can create anything. Anything. Gray leans back again as he sees the realization on my face. I sit silently for a few minutes, then jump off the couch, pressing the side of the cube as I had seen Gray do. The screen appeared in front of me in place of the cube and I closed my eyes. The cyan line of energy came out of the screen and caressed my forehead. It made a few adjustments, and then the screen turned green. I thought and thought. When I opened my eyes and looked... I saw the very thing that I had been imagining come out of the screen.

A gun. Just like the one gray had given me earlier.

I took the gun and placed it on the floor. Then I imagined a strap and strapped the SMG onto my back. I stood up, My eyes narrowed. I felt a new demeanor come over me. A good one, but a serious one.

One of determination.



We went back to earth, specifically to a few of my friends houses. I needed some people that I could depend on. People who I know.

River.

I had known River since I had moved into my house. He and I had had many great times together, and we both had trusted in each other. We shared secrets, helped each other with problems we were having, and gave sound advice. So I told Gray where He lived, and we got back into our ship and took off.

Moments later, I stood at his doorstep, my finger inches from the doorbell. Thankfully, they were home, but I hesitated a moment before I rang the doorbell. Then I turned and looked at Gray and Lime, who were standing beside me. I thought for a moment and then brought out the cube. When I was finished, a smaller cube came out of the screen and the cube reappeared in my hands. I opened the smaller cube and said, “Here, jump into this.” Gray didn't even hesitate as he took the cube, placed it on the ground, and was sucked inside.

Lime looked at me for a second before jumping in. I picked up the cube along with the real cube and put it in the pack I had created. As soon as I rang the doorbell, I realized I should probably name the cube. Denver, River's twelve year old brother answered the door. I was overwhelmed for a second. I hadn't seen either of them in at least five or six months. When I had moved away, I tried to get together with them as much as I could, but gas prices forced us apart.

Thankfully I had Facebook and Xbox. But seeing Denver now brought so many great memories back. Denver started with surprise when he saw me. He said “Hey Giovanni! What are you doing here? I didn't know you were coming!” I chuckled and said, “You know what Denver, I didn't either.” he looked at me for a moment and then called back to River. River came around the corner of his hallway and we locked eyes.

He is rather tall for his age, about six feet. He had dark brown, hair not too long but not short. It curled a little at the bottom. He was very lanky, somewhat strong, and extremely intelligent. We had a lot in common. He looked confused for a second. I asked, “Hey River, are your parents home?” he shook his head. “Why?” His voice had gotten deeper since we last met.

I nodded. “Good. I have something we need to talk about.” Denver overheard this and asked, “What is it?” I was about to shake my head when something told me to let him come. So I nodded and River led the way back to his room. When we had sat down on his bed, I opened the floodgates. I told him everything that had happened and hoped that he believed it. When I had finished, River at first was confused.

So I gave him a few reasons to believe. I looked him in the eyes and said, “First off, how do you think I got here?” “Your mom brought you here, right?” I shook my head. “Wrong. I came in an inter-dimensional spaceship from another planet. Now I did start from my house, but I came here by completely different means then a car.

I realized then that I had forgotten to tell my parents That I was leaving. For good.

River looked at me like I had three heads. I knew that he was starting to be cautious. Maybe I was insane or something. I also knew that I needed to bring out some hardcore proof or he was going to do something. So I brought out the only thing that would prove all my points.

The cube.

Which I had named Cubey.

I took it out of my pack and river looked at it for a second, then back to me. I said, “Ok, this is what looks like a normal steel cube, right?” River nods cautiously, somewhat afraid of what I'm going to do. I push in the side of the cube and it implodes. River jumps back, while Denver, who is sitting of the floor looks at Cubey in awe. When it reappeared as a screen, River's eyes about popped out.

I created the one thing I knew that River loved. A full suit of spartan armor from Halo. River was so astounded that he just sat there for a whole minute, his jaw looking like it was just displaced. Denver went up to the suit and touched it. Smooth, firm steel greeted his finger. He pulled back, also amazed. I used the cube again to take the suit back and River shook his head, trying to comprehend what had just happened.

And then I took out the smaller cube, releasing Gray and Lime into the room. Gray shook himself and extended a small hand out to River, saying, “Greetings. My name is Gray. I assume your's is River according to my friend here.” River slowly reached out and took Gray's hand. Gray shook his hand firmly and then offered his hand to Denver, who happily shook his hand.

My name is Denver. Your name is Gray, right?” Gray nodded. “Well, Gray, I'm guessing that you were the “Gray” that Giovanni was just telling us about. Did you really do all of those things that he said you did?” Gray nodded again. Denver's eyes opened in amazement. This little three foot high creature slew untold thousands of the creatures known as the Stalkers? And with a machine gun almost twice his size?

Lime smiled shyly and just said Hi. She was fine with meeting me because they had known me before they met me, but meeting new people was a big thing for her, apparently. I almost chucked at the irony of it. She had faced the same Stalkers and shouted in their faces while tearing them apart, but here she seemed so innocent.

We all sat silently for a few more minutes while River collected his wits.

Then he said, “well, why did you really come here, Giovanni?”

1 comment: